Being the continuation of InstaPunk and InstaPunk Rules
I need to do more of this…
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Another neglected orphan
All writers have orphans. Stories they really liked but somehow never finished. Poems and stories no publisher wanted. Great book proposals rejected by form letter. Published works that died on the shelves without publicity, advertising, or bookstore signings. Then there’s the worst kind. The accidental project that even the writer keeps forgetting about because he thinks he’s bigger than the trifle that always seems to be standing quietly behind the door.
I rediscovered one of this last kind when I was belatedly doing some hard work to revive the life of maybe my biggest orphan, the graphic extravaganza called Shuteye Town 1999.
Shuteye Town is a huge, uncategorizable thing made up of 3,500+ hyperlinked computer graphic files. It’s a place you go and can get lost in, even though everything that happens in there is occurring in the final minute of the 20th Century. It’s a story in which the reader/player is the protagonist of a narrative he creates by the choices he makes about where to go next. You write your own story, as many times as you want, as many different ways as you want. You shop, you ride the subway (48 stations), you drive through town, you hit the nightlife, you watch TV, you browse the Internet, you go to high school and college, you get therapy, you get arrested, you go on trial, you go to prison, you die, and you get sent back to do it all again, because the number of lives you can lose is unlimited. Is that heaven, hell, or purgatory? Your story. You figure it out.
Anyhow. I was constructing a new website to replace three others that site vendors had shoved out of existence by turning ‘free’ into prohibitively expensive. One of the places people can visit and spend a lot of time is in a store (one of 33 at the mall) called Moon Books, where you can browse for reading material of all kinds. If you can get past the police tape…
It can be done if you want it enough. Inside, there’s a lot to choose from.
All the categories can be explored. There’s a long shelf of bestsellers, for example. Many of the books whose titles can be read are also linked to front and back cover reproductions. In the original version there were also links from some of these to text excerpts, which did not survive a conversion to HTML, though they have been available through years by other means.
You’ll note that the books inside the red box include a ‘Rabbit’ novel (by John Upcreek), a ‘Buchanan’ novel by Bore Vidal, as well as something called ‘Little Good Book.’ The first two had text excerpts now preserved/enhanced elsewhere, while the third was intended to be the only complete book available at Moon Books by text link. Which made it special in its own way. I wrote it at the time and then forgot about it. In fact I didn’t even notice its hiding place here on the bestseller list when I was reviewing it during the site creation for ST99 here at Blogger. It was only when I was looking for a shorthand way of demonstrating just how many books were in the store that I rediscovered a set of image files I’d collected on iPad in years past.
Most of the titles shown were among those that had also had text links. What leaped out at me from this set of pics, though, wasn’t those but the hot pink cover sitting almost at dead center of this image file. Omigod, I thought, Uncle Reg’s Little Good Book! The only way I’d thought of it for several years was as the answer to a trivia question hardly anyone has ever asked me: “Just how many Bibles have you written, R. F. Laird?” The right answer is four. The Boomer Bible, the Zeezer Bible (also in ST99), the Snowflake Bible, and Uncle Reg’s Little Good Book.
So, what was the ‘Little Good Book’? It was a fun little writing project akin to a book(let) called ‘Stupid Rihgts’ that also made it into the Moon Books inventory but whose text has since disappeared completely into the zone occupied by lost socks and cheap sunglasses. Uncle Reg was a nasty old white guy who was strenuously opposed to people in general, regardless of ethnicity. The book consists of what a young fella wrote down of his salty assessments of things and advice for getting by in a world full of, ugh, people.
It was fun to write, brief but somehow comprehensive, and it seemed to deal directly with the very biggest issues in life. When it didn’t show up in my attempts to recover other missing text files, I moved on.
Then, in 2018, I must have made a serious effort to find the text, because I published a Kindle book whose cover you see up top. My plan had been to publish it on paper in the tiniest size format Amazon allowed, which was 3 1/2” X 5” or something like that, contrasting the grand title with the “little book” fad that seemed to be gripping the market at the time. I wasn’t really hoping to make money. What I really wanted was to hold it in my hand and give copies to the friends I was still speaking to. (Apparently I’m not altogether different from Uncle Reg…). The Kindle price was and is pretty low in these inflationary times.
Then I forgot all about it again. I never look at the dribs and drabs of royalty payments I get from Amazon. If I ever sold one, I don’t know about it. I have a Facebook page and over a dozen sizable websites which all operate without advertising or promotion. Never had the money and I can’t survive all the political correctness hurdles associated with securing marketing assistance through social network and browser vendors. My long term sales plan, pitiful as it might be, is to wait for a change in culture in which young people become actively hostile to political correctness and woke delusions, then start looking for voices like mine; later, when I am sipping absinthe through a straw in my wheelchair at the age of 102, some member of the mass media might notice a mountain of my stuff that is still relevant, thoughtful, and creative, and take credit for discovering me.
One reason I’ve never been much for tip jars. When I mention them at Facebook, it’s in jest. I have posted about a tip jar here at IPR, but just once and it was expressly not for money but information. I have financial needs associated with trying to save my work from the uncertain future of Internet software services, but I have resorted to GoFundMe on only one occasion. That was to finance a legal attempt to obtain redress for the blatantly unethical and probably illegal destruction of the reputation of a long-dead man I had had as a teacher in prep school. The charges the school levied and publicized extensively against him were sexual in nature, hearsay taken as gospel long after his death and any conceivable statute of limitations , and an obvious attempt to draw praise for correcting a problem every boarding school on earth deals with in some form or another, usually through coverups and silence. My attempts to obtain acknowledgment of the unfairness of the process used against my old instructor were met with stony denial by the school itself, which threatened to sue me personally for defaming the school’s administration. My GoFundMe petition was immediately denied with extreme prejudice because defending a white male accused of sexual improprieties was tantamount to a crime itself.
Why I just keep doing what I’m doing, writing the truth as I see it, with no censors or lawfare vultures looking over my shoulder to mold or silence my opinions.
What does any of this have to do with a throwaway writing project that never really saw the light of day? Here’s what I’m thinking. When I look at the date of Uncle Reg’s Kindle publication, I am now realizing that 2018 was in the same time window as Hillary’s promulgation of the “Deplorables” and “Irredeemables” memes. This seems to be the official launch of the open hatred of white men that has been increasing steadily during the subsequent years of Woke victim gospel and feverishly foul-mouthed namecalling of old white men in particular. I feel belatedly proud that Uncle Reg anticipated that view of curmudgeonly men by saying things that used to be chuckled at and are now used as rationales for imprisonment and murder.
I had to purchase a copy of the “Little Good Book” from Kindle this morning. I’d lost the text once again when I looked for it. But I paid the exorbitant price ($2.99) because I’d had an ‘Animal House’ kind of inspiration.
Here’s my tip jar proposal. Buy your own copies of Uncle Reg’s Little Good Book. Read it, copy-and-paste excerpts you like best and mail them to friends and (un)friends. Quote excerpts in your social network posts, make electronic posters featuring quotes from the Little Good Book. Start virtue signalling about the scripture of the “Deplorables” and “Irredeemables.” Take credit for all the abuse that’s heaped on them/us. If you’ve got more scratch than I do, make a T-shirt or a ball cap promoting Uncle Reg, even get a batch of them and share them with friends.
Or not.
At the very least, this is a stupid, futile gesture of mine and I’m happy with it. As a final incentive, I’ll give you one more thing for free. The complete Introduction to the book. Read it and then go buy the Great Prophet of Deplorability:
Are we excited yet? Think about it while you listen to the Uncle Reg theme song…
UPDATE JUNE 9, 2025: According to my Amazon page, your response to this post has been quick and impressive. Thank you. Please it keep it going. It used to be, well, last on the list.
AI is independently objective? Not politically biased? Not a powerful hidden censor? Guess again. This post isn’t about AI. But AI is now part of an increasingly ominous context in which the fate of western civilization is being played as both low comedy and high tragedy. I use an AI app as a satirical tool. It enables you to make still photos of faces say things from a long list of snappy quotes and music clips. A lot of the quotes are themselves satirical, with voices altered from the original speaker or singer, to make them funny in some other mouth. But they don’t like it when you use their little app to make certain sacred cows look stupid or dishonest. Any Every time the name Trump appears in a headline over a photo featuring one of his thousands of enemies, the Revive app is certain to flag your work in process as NSFW, as in not safe for work in the politically correct Progressive media environment. You’re not allowed. If you try to appease by moderating headlines o...
Take a minute to look at the opener here. We all know this is pretty much how things are nowadays. Everything chaotic, backwards and upside down, as if some law of nature had been violated. Which it has. Early in this this century, wishful thinkers believed in a mirage called Hope and Change that turned out to be shallow, insincere, and small-minded. We survived that, sort of, but the ones who felt most betrayed, about 30 percent of the nation, believed they deserved more than the eight years of delusion which had been their sacrifice given in exchange for the real prize. In compensation, they wanted to elect a very bad woman to the Presidency of the United States. They were denied that wrongheaded but deeply felt desire. Since that bitter disappointment they have become obsessed with becoming as mean and hateful and ruthless as it took to wreak their revenge on the man who defeated them and the people who helped him do it. The bad woman led the legions of those smashing everythin...
I won’t kid you. I’m exactly where Nancy Mace is on this case. Even Cluck and Buck were better at providing an appropriate legal context for the farce just played out in Massachusetts than the rest of the media. Drug and alcohol intoxication are not legal defenses in murder trials. Combat veterans suffering from documented hallucinogenic episodes of PTSD have also been convicted of murder and given harsh punishments. The PTSD diagnosis does not suffice for an insanity defense. It is sometimes admitted after the verdict as a possible mitigating factor in sentencing. In legal terms sanity is knowing the difference between right and wrong. Lindsey Clancy has no basis for claiming that she forgot it is wrong to murder three helpless children in your care. The cultural debate has been focused on the supposed uniqueness of female “feelings.” Which men cannot understand. Which is a crock. I understand the why’s wherefore’s of people wanting a Get Out of Jail Free card just ...
Predicted the last three economic meltdowns, from each of which he made a fortune. He’s been predicting the biggest one yet for a couple of months. There’s reason to take him seriously. He believes the President will invoke the Insurrection before the midterm elections. His argument is at the link. I advise you to watch his initial spiel, but not all of it until you’ve read I have to say. A delay recommended only because his video uses the ‘Infomercial’ tactic of going on and on and on until you’ve invested so much time it feels like commitment. I do not agree that Trump will invoke the Insurrection Act before the midterms but after if and only if he loses his majorities in Congress. Trump is still determined to win despite the many attempts that will be made to steal votes across the nation. That’s who he is. Here’s Rickards’s pitch . Here’s what I have to say, beginning from his Exhibit A on the Insurrection Act. That doesn’t mean it won’t be opposed tooth and cla...
This is what I call an omnibus post. That is, it will contain many links to what I have published here and elsewhere previously. Not going to apologize for that. I don’t mind asking you to read a variety of approaches to the same gigantic topic. It’s a topic so big we’ve all become accustomed (or trained ourselves) to deal with it only in pieces. But the pieces are all part of a larger whole that has grave consequences for the culture as a whole. A great many people aren’t going to like what I have to say here, but it’s time it was said. I won’t be mincing words. If you feel like contending with specific points I am making, you’re well advised to read what’s at the links before you cut yourself the easy break of dismissing this post as irrational or wrongheaded or over-generalized. It isn’t. It just won’t be popular. A word about the word ‘general’ as it used in vernacular expressions like ”in general” or “generally speaking.” We all do generalize, mostly without acknowledging that whe...
Mad Max as you’re supposed to want her Having finished my Mad Max post yesterday, I realized I had confined my discussion of the ‘Instant Gratification’ problem to the MAGA fainthearts. Their inability to look far enough forward to envision consequences is far less than that of the whole half country full of Democrat apologists and Trump haters. Shouldn’t I address that fact in some comparable terms to what I just wrote? I guess so. The easy answer is referencing the two recent Mad Max sequels provided to us by Woke Hollywood. But I haven’t seen them. I had no interest in paying to see them in a theater. At one point I did put one of them, Furiosa I think, on my IMDB watch list. I received a notification that it would be briefly available on one of the streaming services and I did tune in to watch. Lost interest about 15 minutes in, by which time the old rules had it a good movie should have you hooked. I was not hooked. It was just the same cinematic backdrop as the Road W...
Did the District Attorney of Philadelphia propose blowing up Trump’s White House Ballroom and auctioning off pieces of the rubble to cut the deficit? The Answer Provided by Google’s AI Assistant: Yes . Our topic today is Larry Krasner and his record as the District Attorney of Philadelphia and apparent higher political aspirations. Our purpose, though, is not purely political. It is to provide a demonstration of how Artificial Intelligence applications can be used in personal research that goes deeper than the media ever do. It is also to show the pitfalls of relying on such applications without a dogged determination to be thorough. The programmers behind the computer “intelligence” are always there, and they are just as human and political as, well, the elitist geeks who write the code. There are always two big questions to answer before undertaking what will be a long and complicated post on a complicated topic. First, Can I do it? And second, Do I really want to do it? This t...
Conflicted identity and media image woes By now we know if you’re a Democrat, getting elected isn’t about who you are, what you’ve done or haven’t done. It’s about how people see you. The factors that can do in a candidate are often more subtle than the pundits of the professional wrestling circuit called the mainstream media. Why we think it’s time to help the world’s most uninformed voters about who to elect as their next nominee for President. We’re not going to get all racist and sexist about it. The decision points we’ve discovered are all based on the individuals involved, not the immaterial fluff like experience or political philosophies. We’ll start right at the top and give you one simple thing to bear in mind before you try to pick a winner for 2028. Kamala Harris Not about the word salads or the escort thing. Too Desperate. Gavin Newsom Too Lyle Waggoner. Times change. Bernie Sanders Too ‘Little Big Man’ AOC Too prematurely passé Gretchen Whitmer Too Lily-White J...
Who’s in charge of building the American ‘woman’ of the future? Everyone knows what TEMU is, right? Even I know what TEMU is, and I don’t have anything to do with TikTok. How can that be? I don’t even associate with the CCP-friendly mass media. But I do know and I’ll explain why. For those a little bit farther behind the curve, this is TEMU: Companies like TEMU are the reason why Trump is taking a harder line against China than every other treacherous trading partner of the United States. The Wall Street media crowd is actively hoping for a recession to cool Trump’s jets on the tariff thing. They can’t afford to lose the enormous subsidy their publications receive from Chinese advertisers. Anything is preferable to losing those big big bucks in a period when the suckers are no longer willing to read libels against themselves by paying to see behind a pay wall. The crisis of the Trump tariff policy (that’s “Trade War” in NYTspeak) is hitting TEMU too.. Oh. Right. The crisis is higher pr...
Happy Independence Day No. 250! I’m planning to do my part for the year-long celebration of the still remarkable birth of the United States of America. Just starting to realize that the number of us who remember the last big anniversary in 1976 is getting smaller every day. Why I have some special ideas about focusing on the moment of transition, that is the tick of the clock last night when the 249th year became the 250th. A kind of time capsule that may be buried now but dug up later to see who were way back when you were still as young as you think you are now. My credentials for the job. Quite a few actually, but the most important one today is that I was a working participant in the official Bicentennial celebrations back when I was still young. I wrote a post about it almost 10 years ago, ancient history in today’s 24/7 chronometer dial. In honor of the ones no longer with us from that time, I dug up the old post from the Wayback Machine and put it back together here a...
Comments