Being the continuation of InstaPunk and InstaPunk Rules
How us Multimedia Guys Play
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Riminem
Where do fun ideas come from? Juxtapositions that no one’s put together before. Oranges and apples type stuff. In my last year of academic French studies, I took an AP course from an exceptional teacher who focused a good part of the year on writers not included on the recommended AP reading list. Early in the fall, he slapped a copy of Camus’s “L’Étranger” on his desk, told it was on the list, but informed us he wouldn’t waste time on such trash in our class work. We could read it if we wanted, just not in his class.
Instead we devoted well over a month to the study of the four great French Symbolist poets who were seminal to the development of, among other things, modern poetry and modern art. Their names were Baudelaire, Verlaine, Rimbaud, and Mallarmé. The first two were very accessible and quickly enjoyed by everyone. I memorized and still remember some verses of both of them. The other two were more difficult, considered so in their own country, so not surprisingly more abstruse for American teenagers in high school. I struggled with them until our teacher, Mr. Miller, shared a connection with one of my own favorite writers. Mallarmé (and the other symbolists, we were assured) drew considerable inspiration from the poetry of Edgar Allan Poe, whose complete poetical works were translated into French by the master himself, Stephane Mallarmé. After reading his translations out loud to myself, I could hear Poe in his own poems as well, and it was even easier to see the influence in Baudelaire (“The Flowers of Evil”):and Verlaine (“Les Chansons Long de Violons”).
Rimbaud was a farther reach. He was the real wild man of the bunch. Living the high life, he stormed Paris as a teenager, finished writing poetry at the age of 19, became a gun runner, and died younger even than Poe did, at the age of 37. Poe was the fearless adventurer in literature, creating new genres as he drank his way to the profundities of life and death, and Rimbaud was also an adventurer, both in letters and in the reckless acting out of his fantasies. I learned to appreciate his poetic works but neglected them after my school years until I happened upon a movie called “Total Eclipse.”
1995. David Thewliss and Leonardo di Caprio.
Well, okay then. Mr. Miller had neglected to tell us about the precise relationship between Verlaine and Rimbaud. It was not a happy story. The IMDb ‘Metacritic’ from ReelViews said of it, “Despite its flaws, Total Eclipse is the kind of movie that stirs thoughts and ruminations about the nature of genius, the true meaning of art, and the unfailing capacity of great people to destroy themselves and others.” It was a French/Brit production and so probably more frankly portrayed than it would have been here at the time. I didn’t feel shocked by the movie as much as cheated. The poetry was what interested me the most and the sexual angle eclipsed it pretty thoroughly (pun intended). It also made me realize that I had never seen photographs of Verlaine or Rimbaud, or at least not that I could remember. Did they really look like Thewliss and di Caprio? I found pictures on the Internet. Yes, they did, kind of. Close enough anyway.
There I left the Rimbaud story again for nearly a decade, until I came across an intriguing coincidence. My taste in music has always been eclectic — ranging from classical to AC/DC, with Jazz, Blues, Motown, Country, and even Zydeko in between — but Rap had always thrown me for a loop. A few individual hits got through to me, but I overlooked the stars of a genre that often seemed more focused on murdering rivals than producing a body of work. Then I stumbled on Eminem in the movie “8 Mile”:
2002. Starring himself. Final ‘8 Mile’ Rap battles here.
After that I paid occasional attention to Eminem, whose private life and album releases got lots of press, and I realized he was getting better, developing rap into something that could be accessible even to outsiders like me. When I looked around for comparisons to help me explain why I found him interesting, the image of Rimbaud popped into my head. By image I mean the photographs I had found some years back. That was my ticket to a post at the old Instapunk that seemed to piss a few people off, even one of my close friends. [click on these to blow them up and stretched even more…]
Take a breath, then…
When I got criticized via actual phone calls from friends who were afraid to comment in print, I did an Update…
I let it go at the time. Not much more I could do at the time without writing a book no one would read. Who cares what I think about two delinquent white boys I have some obscure connections to. (Yes, Eminem too, in my own Detroit years, I learned about the Mile Roads that circle the city and drove through them, raced to appointments through them, many times…)
Then, as I continued to play with graphics and caricatures and such, I found an application called ‘Mixing Booth’ that enabled me to blend two faces into one. They work for politics and the contemporary gender confusions we call equity. Here are a few I worked out in the Mixing Booth:
That’s the process by which I arrived at the photo of ‘Riminem above. Uncanny likeness of both, I think. Now what if… what if… unnhhh, what if I could mix together a Riminem Raprecording? That might be fun. A lot of work but a lot of fun and maybe it will suggest other things that might be done with a similar approach…
I provided the backbeat. Many fine artists supplied the images. Happens with Poe too.
All things considered, it didn’t take that long to do. If you’d like to see what a translation looks like in part, here’s an excerpt:
Rimbaud: ‘The Drunken Boat’ translated by Estill Pollock
…alone, I reach the rapids, guided through beyond a sense of distance—double-crossed to screaming savages, my crew nailed naked to the bull’s-eye totems, lost.
No second thoughts for deck hands: the cargo scow of Flanders grain, of English cotton, cast clear of the imbroglio upstream to catch the careless current down.
The winter runs to tantrum tides, empty childish fury fuelling my direction, the breakaway peninsulae, each tinny coup, slaves for my selection.
I wake to tempests. The oceans sanction my weightless two-step on the flood, the waves beneath, breaking towards extinction, the harbour lighthouse blind to salty graves.
This seepage hull, this apple flesh, this crab- green infancy of sweetness shoals the seams, snap-anchor swells that clear the scab of vomit, wine, this listing bridge of dreams.
And now awash in milky starlight, sea rhymes sunk to these devouring azures, nudged by the drowned, pale subsidy of pain the brooding look of corpses cures;
where, though a sudden cobalt saturates, measures languid time, beating to the noon, a manic, boozy chord dictates a bully red, love’s dregs, its bitter tune…
The translator also provides some additional information about the poem and its author. As a bonus, here’s a Mallarmé translation into French of Poe’s Annabel Lee.
Anyway, I had fun. Which is the whole point of playing.
AI is independently objective? Not politically biased? Not a powerful hidden censor? Guess again. This post isn’t about AI. But AI is now part of an increasingly ominous context in which the fate of western civilization is being played as both low comedy and high tragedy. I use an AI app as a satirical tool. It enables you to make still photos of faces say things from a long list of snappy quotes and music clips. A lot of the quotes are themselves satirical, with voices altered from the original speaker or singer, to make them funny in some other mouth. But they don’t like it when you use their little app to make certain sacred cows look stupid or dishonest. Any Every time the name Trump appears in a headline over a photo featuring one of his thousands of enemies, the Revive app is certain to flag your work in process as NSFW, as in not safe for work in the politically correct Progressive media environment. You’re not allowed. If you try to appease by moderating headlines o...
Take a minute to look at the opener here. We all know this is pretty much how things are nowadays. Everything chaotic, backwards and upside down, as if some law of nature had been violated. Which it has. Early in this this century, wishful thinkers believed in a mirage called Hope and Change that turned out to be shallow, insincere, and small-minded. We survived that, sort of, but the ones who felt most betrayed, about 30 percent of the nation, believed they deserved more than the eight years of delusion which had been their sacrifice given in exchange for the real prize. In compensation, they wanted to elect a very bad woman to the Presidency of the United States. They were denied that wrongheaded but deeply felt desire. Since that bitter disappointment they have become obsessed with becoming as mean and hateful and ruthless as it took to wreak their revenge on the man who defeated them and the people who helped him do it. The bad woman led the legions of those smashing everythin...
I won’t kid you. I’m exactly where Nancy Mace is on this case. Even Cluck and Buck were better at providing an appropriate legal context for the farce just played out in Massachusetts than the rest of the media. Drug and alcohol intoxication are not legal defenses in murder trials. Combat veterans suffering from documented hallucinogenic episodes of PTSD have also been convicted of murder and given harsh punishments. The PTSD diagnosis does not suffice for an insanity defense. It is sometimes admitted after the verdict as a possible mitigating factor in sentencing. In legal terms sanity is knowing the difference between right and wrong. Lindsey Clancy has no basis for claiming that she forgot it is wrong to murder three helpless children in your care. The cultural debate has been focused on the supposed uniqueness of female “feelings.” Which men cannot understand. Which is a crock. I understand the why’s wherefore’s of people wanting a Get Out of Jail Free card just ...
Predicted the last three economic meltdowns, from each of which he made a fortune. He’s been predicting the biggest one yet for a couple of months. There’s reason to take him seriously. He believes the President will invoke the Insurrection before the midterm elections. His argument is at the link. I advise you to watch his initial spiel, but not all of it until you’ve read I have to say. A delay recommended only because his video uses the ‘Infomercial’ tactic of going on and on and on until you’ve invested so much time it feels like commitment. I do not agree that Trump will invoke the Insurrection Act before the midterms but after if and only if he loses his majorities in Congress. Trump is still determined to win despite the many attempts that will be made to steal votes across the nation. That’s who he is. Here’s Rickards’s pitch . Here’s what I have to say, beginning from his Exhibit A on the Insurrection Act. That doesn’t mean it won’t be opposed tooth and cla...
Mad Max as you’re supposed to want her Having finished my Mad Max post yesterday, I realized I had confined my discussion of the ‘Instant Gratification’ problem to the MAGA fainthearts. Their inability to look far enough forward to envision consequences is far less than that of the whole half country full of Democrat apologists and Trump haters. Shouldn’t I address that fact in some comparable terms to what I just wrote? I guess so. The easy answer is referencing the two recent Mad Max sequels provided to us by Woke Hollywood. But I haven’t seen them. I had no interest in paying to see them in a theater. At one point I did put one of them, Furiosa I think, on my IMDB watch list. I received a notification that it would be briefly available on one of the streaming services and I did tune in to watch. Lost interest about 15 minutes in, by which time the old rules had it a good movie should have you hooked. I was not hooked. It was just the same cinematic backdrop as the Road W...
This is what I call an omnibus post. That is, it will contain many links to what I have published here and elsewhere previously. Not going to apologize for that. I don’t mind asking you to read a variety of approaches to the same gigantic topic. It’s a topic so big we’ve all become accustomed (or trained ourselves) to deal with it only in pieces. But the pieces are all part of a larger whole that has grave consequences for the culture as a whole. A great many people aren’t going to like what I have to say here, but it’s time it was said. I won’t be mincing words. If you feel like contending with specific points I am making, you’re well advised to read what’s at the links before you cut yourself the easy break of dismissing this post as irrational or wrongheaded or over-generalized. It isn’t. It just won’t be popular. A word about the word ‘general’ as it used in vernacular expressions like ”in general” or “generally speaking.” We all do generalize, mostly without acknowledging that whe...
Who’s in charge of building the American ‘woman’ of the future? Everyone knows what TEMU is, right? Even I know what TEMU is, and I don’t have anything to do with TikTok. How can that be? I don’t even associate with the CCP-friendly mass media. But I do know and I’ll explain why. For those a little bit farther behind the curve, this is TEMU: Companies like TEMU are the reason why Trump is taking a harder line against China than every other treacherous trading partner of the United States. The Wall Street media crowd is actively hoping for a recession to cool Trump’s jets on the tariff thing. They can’t afford to lose the enormous subsidy their publications receive from Chinese advertisers. Anything is preferable to losing those big big bucks in a period when the suckers are no longer willing to read libels against themselves by paying to see behind a pay wall. The crisis of the Trump tariff policy (that’s “Trade War” in NYTspeak) is hitting TEMU too.. Oh. Right. The crisis is higher pr...
Conflicted identity and media image woes By now we know if you’re a Democrat, getting elected isn’t about who you are, what you’ve done or haven’t done. It’s about how people see you. The factors that can do in a candidate are often more subtle than the pundits of the professional wrestling circuit called the mainstream media. Why we think it’s time to help the world’s most uninformed voters about who to elect as their next nominee for President. We’re not going to get all racist and sexist about it. The decision points we’ve discovered are all based on the individuals involved, not the immaterial fluff like experience or political philosophies. We’ll start right at the top and give you one simple thing to bear in mind before you try to pick a winner for 2028. Kamala Harris Not about the word salads or the escort thing. Too Desperate. Gavin Newsom Too Lyle Waggoner. Times change. Bernie Sanders Too ‘Little Big Man’ AOC Too prematurely passé Gretchen Whitmer Too Lily-White J...
Happy Independence Day No. 250! I’m planning to do my part for the year-long celebration of the still remarkable birth of the United States of America. Just starting to realize that the number of us who remember the last big anniversary in 1976 is getting smaller every day. Why I have some special ideas about focusing on the moment of transition, that is the tick of the clock last night when the 249th year became the 250th. A kind of time capsule that may be buried now but dug up later to see who were way back when you were still as young as you think you are now. My credentials for the job. Quite a few actually, but the most important one today is that I was a working participant in the official Bicentennial celebrations back when I was still young. I wrote a post about it almost 10 years ago, ancient history in today’s 24/7 chronometer dial. In honor of the ones no longer with us from that time, I dug up the old post from the Wayback Machine and put it back together here a...
Another has-been life ruined beyond repair. Trump Curse writ large. Rosie O’Donnell still can’t get over the fact that Trump won the Republican nomination in 2016 by blowing off Megyn Kelly’s gotcha question about his mean tweets to women, using her as the completely understandable punchline. Millions of men, and even some women, said to themselves, “I would do that too.” She’s a sad case. But this latest outburst got me to thinking. Maybe I’ve been unfair to The Donald myself over the years. With my wife and others, I’ve taken the position that I admire Trump as a President and would-be savior of the Republic. I’ve also said I wouldn’t have him in my house for dinner. Or, less pompously, that I have never had any desire to meet him in person. I have fought strenuously for his political life and fortunes. No one can deny that. But I also fought for George W and Mitt Romney (as I had done for McCain, whom I genuinely despised) when they were running. Didn’t want to meet them...
Comments