In the midst of burned-out ruin a seedling…


As Paul Harvey would say, here’s the rest of the story. I’ve been obsessing about the Death of America, boring everybody, especially my wife, to tears. I’m right about how bad it is, but that doesn’t matter, does it? “Don’t be a Debbie Downer” is the real American Way. I get it. Well, I’ve got it now. A young lady I got to watch grow from teenage angst to mature married beauty sent me photographs of the costume she wore at her office Christmas party this year. She gave me credit for introducing her to Veronica Lake.


Okay. I’m pleased and proud. And hopeful, even if only for a moment. Imagination, glamor, wit, and humor never go out of style. They might even save us in the end.

Comments

Readers also liked…

A Near-Perfect Microcosm of “The Swamp”

The Best Book on the Trump Phenomenon

A Reclamation Project Begun

Manuscript Submission, The Boomer Bible

The CHYOS Superscript

The impenetrable NYC Bubble