Being the continuation of InstaPunk and InstaPunk Rules
Silly Saturdays — Of Curses and Cagliostro
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
They don’t let me out much anymore. I feel like Uncle Fred.
Back on the first of April I rechristened the next 30 days April Fools Month. Turns out I was right to do that, as the Democrat downward spiral into an unhinged opposite of what it once prided itself for became more laughable by the day. Now we are on the 30th day of what I am hopefully about to bury as “May Madness,” a cringe-inducing period of violent Dem fantasies and true-life violence they deplore without seeming able to connect their own rhetoric with mass shootings and assassination attempts. They’re actually proud of themselves.
A lot like their Republican counterpart, the RINOs, whose only sign of backbone in many years has been their willingness to defy Trump and conspire openly against the legislative priorities he was elected to implement. And, like the Dems, they're proud of themselves. It’s not a small group. Let me count the stiff-necked feeders at the Wall St/Pharma/Amnesty/Pork/Antisemite trough who have spent the month sniveling their complaints about Trump to Meet the Press, Face the Nation, This Week with George Stupidopoulos, 60 Minutes, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MsNOW, and Fox & Friends: John Thune, Rand Paul, Susan Collins, John Cornyn, Karl Rove, the Texican Bushes, Mitt Romney, Thomas Massie, Marjorie Taylor Greene, and (lest we forget) Mike Pence. The madness? They believe that the sacred cow called the Silent Majority (dead and digested since Agnew took a plea) is quietly yearning for a restoration of the Grand Old Party I once brilliantly summed up this way in my Y2000 Shuteye Nation Glossary:
Well, the Repubs are in there somewhere. Dog’s sleeping on my specs, so you dig it out.
You’ll have to excuse me. Days since I took anything seriously in the news. Never seen so much slop gooshing around in the mass media. What did Rosie and Bruce and DeNiro and the Hulk say today in their years long contest to prove who’s the biggest fuckwit in the celebrity world? Is there any actual conservative at Breitbart who isn’t on a season-long vacation in Hilton Head?
What I do is scan the auto-combusting headlines of the various ‘right-leaning’ pop-up infested e-rags and have boosted fundraising for the goofy factor by a notch or two. Which is a challenge, believe you me. It makes posting here more of a challenge. In a world where nobody is reading anymore, writing something longer than three paragraphs seems like an act of existential masochism. But duty is a hard mistress to keep locked in the closet. She has a way of wriggling out of her (their?) handcuffs and demanding a post.
So I thought I’d show you how I spent my morning bouncing almost at random from one source of irrelevant trivia to another and explaining how one leads to another as if by coincidence.
First up, the reliable news smorgasbord called the Gateway Pundit had the only intriguing post I found over my first cup of coffee.
Cryptic tweet? John Cornyn?! Definitely a remote possibility come to pass. Here’s the key excerpt from the text:
Senator John Cornyn (RINO-TX) drove the internet crazy on Friday after posting a very cryptic tweet a few days following his massive loss to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton in the Texas GOP Senate runoff election.
As The Gateway Pundit’s Jordan Conradson reported, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton smoked Cornyn in a landslide victory on Tuesday. The race was called within one hour of the polls closing.
Out of nowhere, Cornyn decided to tweet the famous fable of the scorpion and the frog. As TGP readers know, the frog decides to carry the scorpion across the river after the eight-legged arthropod promises not to sting it.
But the scorpion suddenly betrays the frog, stinging it in the middle of the river, and both die. When the dying frog asked the scorpion why it stung, the arthropod replied: “I couldn’t help myself. It’s my character.”
Social media users immediately began speculating about what Cornyn could have meant by this fable. Many thought he was calling Trump the scorpion and himself the frog.
Others theorized that Cornyn was calling himself the scorpion.
The rest of it was other ‘X’-wits dumping on Cornyn. Since most were the same joke without a real punchline, I’ll let you find them on your own here.
I thought of my own exit line, a paraphrase of a much more seasoned (i.e,, dead) wit than I:
Why I’d immediately thought of this couplet: “The frog recovered of the bite, the scorp it was that died.”
Something about the Trump Curse, which I’ve discussed before. But we don’t have time to belabor that old warhorse here. I tried to look in on Bannon’s War Room, but that’s a small room with a different ear in it every day. This morning it was Proboscic inveighing about how letting up on deportations in Minneapolis and points east was one more sign of the ‘Republic Dying in Darkness,’ which I already know enough about. So I switched over to ROKU’s free TV offerings of the day, which snagged me with a barely budgeted horror movie called Ghost Note, described by the blurb as the story of a legendary blues singer who sold his soul to the devil and came back to life as a serial killer. Couldn’t pass that up. Somebody had the nerve to turn a true musical legend into a slasher flick villain. Here’s the trailer.
It was better than I was expecting. Better than the War Room anyway. They changed the name, the timeframe, and completely passed up the opportunity to play some honest-to-God black blues music from the past. They used the ghost’s indestructible guitar and unbreakable last record as a curse that would keep him an immortal killer for eternity. But they didn’t kill off the romantic leads, and there were a lot excellent vintage MOPAR muscle cars to look at (for some unexplained reason).
The missing music was correctable though. After the movie I found the greatest hits of Robert Johnson. Be my guest…
I did look him up at Wiki. The oddly compelling part of the urban legend that he sold his soul to the devil was the fact that his musical career was undistinguished until the last seven months of his life, when he wrote and recorded some of the all time great and seminal works of blues music in 1935/6. All that is known of his death is a certificate with no cause or other explanatory circumstances. We don’t know for sure that the devil didn’t come to collect the soul Johnson told everyone he’d sold. We don’t know if he ever came to regard his deal with the devil as a curse. Given the sadness of his music, it’s hard to believe he didn’t come to regard it that way.
But that’s how my morning came to be about curses, real and imagined. Almost all that was left was finding the right title for this post. I was determined not to put Trump’s name in the headline. I wrote “…Of Curses and—“ and stopped. And what? For no reason I can give you, what popped randomly into my head was ‘Cagliostro.’ I typed it and left it as a placeholder, then refreshed the very faint memory that must have prompted my choice. Here’s what I found:
Gotcha. That’ll please the TDS’ers.
I said ‘almost all that was left’ before the Cagliostro gag. What’s interesting to me is that the ghost of Robert Johnson came to me by an indirect route just a few days ago. I was having trouble remembering Ry Cooder’s first name. Loved his slide guitar with a passion back in the day. Consulted YouTube and the hottest single they had was his version of Johnson’s ‘Crossroads.’ Could be that’s the reason I wound up biting on the Ghost Note movie, which certainly seems to have belonged in my day.
This title also seems weirdly relevant. Hard not to see that the driftwood RINOs haven’t also reached a crossroads, one where they must decide between continued egotistical posturing and participating again in the real life of the nation.
What’s stopping them? The all too real phenomenon they keep finding out about the hard way…
AI is independently objective? Not politically biased? Not a powerful hidden censor? Guess again. This post isn’t about AI. But AI is now part of an increasingly ominous context in which the fate of western civilization is being played as both low comedy and high tragedy. I use an AI app as a satirical tool. It enables you to make still photos of faces say things from a long list of snappy quotes and music clips. A lot of the quotes are themselves satirical, with voices altered from the original speaker or singer, to make them funny in some other mouth. But they don’t like it when you use their little app to make certain sacred cows look stupid or dishonest. Any Every time the name Trump appears in a headline over a photo featuring one of his thousands of enemies, the Revive app is certain to flag your work in process as NSFW, as in not safe for work in the politically correct Progressive media environment. You’re not allowed. If you try to appease by moderating headlines o...
Take a minute to look at the opener here. We all know this is pretty much how things are nowadays. Everything chaotic, backwards and upside down, as if some law of nature had been violated. Which it has. Early in this this century, wishful thinkers believed in a mirage called Hope and Change that turned out to be shallow, insincere, and small-minded. We survived that, sort of, but the ones who felt most betrayed, about 30 percent of the nation, believed they deserved more than the eight years of delusion which had been their sacrifice given in exchange for the real prize. In compensation, they wanted to elect a very bad woman to the Presidency of the United States. They were denied that wrongheaded but deeply felt desire. Since that bitter disappointment they have become obsessed with becoming as mean and hateful and ruthless as it took to wreak their revenge on the man who defeated them and the people who helped him do it. The bad woman led the legions of those smashing everythin...
I won’t kid you. I’m exactly where Nancy Mace is on this case. Even Cluck and Buck were better at providing an appropriate legal context for the farce just played out in Massachusetts than the rest of the media. Drug and alcohol intoxication are not legal defenses in murder trials. Combat veterans suffering from documented hallucinogenic episodes of PTSD have also been convicted of murder and given harsh punishments. The PTSD diagnosis does not suffice for an insanity defense. It is sometimes admitted after the verdict as a possible mitigating factor in sentencing. In legal terms sanity is knowing the difference between right and wrong. Lindsey Clancy has no basis for claiming that she forgot it is wrong to murder three helpless children in your care. The cultural debate has been focused on the supposed uniqueness of female “feelings.” Which men cannot understand. Which is a crock. I understand the why’s wherefore’s of people wanting a Get Out of Jail Free card just ...
Predicted the last three economic meltdowns, from each of which he made a fortune. He’s been predicting the biggest one yet for a couple of months. There’s reason to take him seriously. He believes the President will invoke the Insurrection before the midterm elections. His argument is at the link. I advise you to watch his initial spiel, but not all of it until you’ve read I have to say. A delay recommended only because his video uses the ‘Infomercial’ tactic of going on and on and on until you’ve invested so much time it feels like commitment. I do not agree that Trump will invoke the Insurrection Act before the midterms but after if and only if he loses his majorities in Congress. Trump is still determined to win despite the many attempts that will be made to steal votes across the nation. That’s who he is. Here’s Rickards’s pitch . Here’s what I have to say, beginning from his Exhibit A on the Insurrection Act. That doesn’t mean it won’t be opposed tooth and cla...
Did the District Attorney of Philadelphia propose blowing up Trump’s White House Ballroom and auctioning off pieces of the rubble to cut the deficit? The Answer Provided by Google’s AI Assistant: Yes . Our topic today is Larry Krasner and his record as the District Attorney of Philadelphia and apparent higher political aspirations. Our purpose, though, is not purely political. It is to provide a demonstration of how Artificial Intelligence applications can be used in personal research that goes deeper than the media ever do. It is also to show the pitfalls of relying on such applications without a dogged determination to be thorough. The programmers behind the computer “intelligence” are always there, and they are just as human and political as, well, the elitist geeks who write the code. There are always two big questions to answer before undertaking what will be a long and complicated post on a complicated topic. First, Can I do it? And second, Do I really want to do it? This t...
This is what I call an omnibus post. That is, it will contain many links to what I have published here and elsewhere previously. Not going to apologize for that. I don’t mind asking you to read a variety of approaches to the same gigantic topic. It’s a topic so big we’ve all become accustomed (or trained ourselves) to deal with it only in pieces. But the pieces are all part of a larger whole that has grave consequences for the culture as a whole. A great many people aren’t going to like what I have to say here, but it’s time it was said. I won’t be mincing words. If you feel like contending with specific points I am making, you’re well advised to read what’s at the links before you cut yourself the easy break of dismissing this post as irrational or wrongheaded or over-generalized. It isn’t. It just won’t be popular. A word about the word ‘general’ as it used in vernacular expressions like ”in general” or “generally speaking.” We all do generalize, mostly without acknowledging that whe...
Mad Max as you’re supposed to want her Having finished my Mad Max post yesterday, I realized I had confined my discussion of the ‘Instant Gratification’ problem to the MAGA fainthearts. Their inability to look far enough forward to envision consequences is far less than that of the whole half country full of Democrat apologists and Trump haters. Shouldn’t I address that fact in some comparable terms to what I just wrote? I guess so. The easy answer is referencing the two recent Mad Max sequels provided to us by Woke Hollywood. But I haven’t seen them. I had no interest in paying to see them in a theater. At one point I did put one of them, Furiosa I think, on my IMDB watch list. I received a notification that it would be briefly available on one of the streaming services and I did tune in to watch. Lost interest about 15 minutes in, by which time the old rules had it a good movie should have you hooked. I was not hooked. It was just the same cinematic backdrop as the Road W...
Conflicted identity and media image woes By now we know if you’re a Democrat, getting elected isn’t about who you are, what you’ve done or haven’t done. It’s about how people see you. The factors that can do in a candidate are often more subtle than the pundits of the professional wrestling circuit called the mainstream media. Why we think it’s time to help the world’s most uninformed voters about who to elect as their next nominee for President. We’re not going to get all racist and sexist about it. The decision points we’ve discovered are all based on the individuals involved, not the immaterial fluff like experience or political philosophies. We’ll start right at the top and give you one simple thing to bear in mind before you try to pick a winner for 2028. Kamala Harris Not about the word salads or the escort thing. Too Desperate. Gavin Newsom Too Lyle Waggoner. Times change. Bernie Sanders Too ‘Little Big Man’ AOC Too prematurely passé Gretchen Whitmer Too Lily-White J...
Happy Independence Day No. 250! I’m planning to do my part for the year-long celebration of the still remarkable birth of the United States of America. Just starting to realize that the number of us who remember the last big anniversary in 1976 is getting smaller every day. Why I have some special ideas about focusing on the moment of transition, that is the tick of the clock last night when the 249th year became the 250th. A kind of time capsule that may be buried now but dug up later to see who were way back when you were still as young as you think you are now. My credentials for the job. Quite a few actually, but the most important one today is that I was a working participant in the official Bicentennial celebrations back when I was still young. I wrote a post about it almost 10 years ago, ancient history in today’s 24/7 chronometer dial. In honor of the ones no longer with us from that time, I dug up the old post from the Wayback Machine and put it back together here a...
Who’s in charge of building the American ‘woman’ of the future? Everyone knows what TEMU is, right? Even I know what TEMU is, and I don’t have anything to do with TikTok. How can that be? I don’t even associate with the CCP-friendly mass media. But I do know and I’ll explain why. For those a little bit farther behind the curve, this is TEMU: Companies like TEMU are the reason why Trump is taking a harder line against China than every other treacherous trading partner of the United States. The Wall Street media crowd is actively hoping for a recession to cool Trump’s jets on the tariff thing. They can’t afford to lose the enormous subsidy their publications receive from Chinese advertisers. Anything is preferable to losing those big big bucks in a period when the suckers are no longer willing to read libels against themselves by paying to see behind a pay wall. The crisis of the Trump tariff policy (that’s “Trade War” in NYTspeak) is hitting TEMU too.. Oh. Right. The crisis is higher pr...
Comments