My Harvard Book

 

The current version was introduced in the year of my own birth, 1953.


Background:

Yes, there really is something called The Harvard Book. Compiled by a fittingly hyphenated Harvard man named William Bentinck-Smith who ran the Harvard Alumni organization in the late 1940s. The edition shown above was his brainchild and went on to transform what had been a tradition into an institution. It has its own Facebook Page to this day, the point of which is to describe the venerable crimson volume as a prestigious book prize distributed by approximately 2,000 secondary schools, as follows:

<<The Harvard Book Prize is awarded to an outstanding junior year student selected by the faculty of each participating high school, based on unmistakable excellence in scholarship, exceptional strength of character and significant contributions to school and/or community. Each winner receives a personally inscribed copy of "The Harvard Book," a Prize presented annually in nearly 2,000 high schools around the world. It is at the discretion of the secondary school to determine the recipient of a Prize. Selection cannot be done through an application process. The Harvard Book Prize program was originated by Harvard alumni in 1910.>>


I got mine when I was 15 and subsequently went to Harvard. (They were truthful about the personal inscription page in inked calligraphy.) That’s my connection to this eccentric publication. Frankly I was shocked to find the FB page. It seems incredible that they haven’t tossed out the 1953 version in favor of some fashionably woke compendium of the writings of social injustice victims empowered by their time at Harvard. You see, the Harvard Book has to be one of the most supremely solipsistic anthologies ever assembled, consisting as it does of  “Harvard men writing about Harvard.”


Even the book’s introduction is turned obsessively inward, a disquisition about what it means to “write like a Harvard man.” Elegance and all that. One of the purveyors of used copies elected not to provide an abstract but a sample of the Harvard man writing it contains:

 


Don’t that beat all? So, since Harvard has not yet gotten around to updating the book I’ve decided to do my own version, which is designed to be even more solipsistic than theirs, the writings of one Harvard man about not just Harvard but other Harvard men (and women) as well. What follows is my own introduction, which must be written like a Harvard man because I am a Harvard man, or was anyway until — just like the Episcopal Church and the Republican Party — the noble institution I saw inspirational glimpses of in my youth has moved completely out of my own Overton Window into a realm of outer darkness. Time to get on with it, I guess.

Introduction:

From earliest childhood I never had any chance to avoid the Ivy League. It was simply assumed that’s where I would go, to one of the eight* (I’ll explain the asterisk in just a bit), which was easier than my sister had it because she was destined for Vassar, where her aunt and oldest first cousin went. My Dad went to Cornell, his dad went to Penn (as did most of his five brothers), and the extended family racked up quite a total with ten to Penn, four to Princeton, and two to Cornell, plus a full professor at MIT. I was also destined to go to my Dad’s prep school, since the only two he seemed to know anything about were that one and Exeter, which was where the childhood acquaintance he most detested had gone, the one he compared me to unfavorably whenever he thought I was showing off how smart I was. I heard a lot about the Exeter guy over the years but never met him personally until I was a junior in college. My Dad was right about him, but I didn’t see any resemblance to myself. He’d gone on to become valedictorian at Princeton, then a professor there, and as far as I could tell he was heartily detested by everyone but his social vampire of a mother. My own mother wanted me to go to Princeton. Go figure. Not an unlikely outcome given that my prep school used to be a feeder school for Princeton, back before the number of feeder schools diminished in the post-WWII era, including mine. By the time I got there, we only sent about four a year to the only Ivy in New Jersey, maybe three or four to Yale, and one or (maybe two) to Harvard.* More to other Ivies and similarly competitive schools, but usually only 30-35 altogether out of a class of 125 or so. We weren’t Exeter.

You saw that asterisk again? It was put there very early in childhood when my Dad told me I could go to any school I wanted… except Harvard. He wouldn’t pay for Harvard. Never met anyone from there he liked. Oh. I aimed myself at Princeton, but as the college application season approached, other factors kicked in. At my school, the brass ring was Harvard. The one that was far and away the hardest to get into at a time when they were all getting harder to get into. For three years in a row I was at the top of my class and won more academic prizes than anyone else, including the Harvard Prize. My classmates assumed that if any of us had a chance at Harvard it was me. I had to apply at least. And I wanted to go. At that age, in that environment, it was the Holy Grail. No thought at all about what it would actually be like. Intimidating even to think of.

I had interviews at Yale and Princeton the summer before senior year. I was on crutches for the Princeton one, the main reason I remember it. I’d stepped on a honey bee in the yard back home. Instantaneous massive swelling and pain. Doctor told me I better not get stung again because it gets worse every time until it kills you. No memory of the Yale interview. The one I won’t ever forget was the Harvard one that fall, not on campus but in my school’s administration building, in an office appropriated by the junior-looking admissions officer. He was looking over my records as I sat down. When he looked up finally, he asked, eyeing me closely, “What are you doing here.” His eyes took in the room and the whole school at a glance.

“Because my father went here.”

He read off all the extracurriculars I had carefully amassed in addition to my grades to make myself the best possible college candidate (at one point, “You’re how old? 16?”) and concluded with, “How do you do it? Keep pushing yourself day after day?” I played it straight, “just doing my best a day at a time” and all that jazz. Didn’t try explaining my lifelong knack for knowing how much was enough to please them while saving time for what I wanted to do. He moved on from there to trifles.

Afterwards, I didn’t know how it had gone. My college adviser was cautiously optimistic. I inferred I hadn’t ruled myself out. Then a few weeks later I got a letter from Yale, informing me that I had been selected as a Yale National Scholar and would be admitted formally with everyone else on April 15. That’s when my adviser came clean and said, “Unless you want to, I don’t think you have to apply anywhere but Yale and Harvard. “ 

I hadn’t actually mailed my Harvard application yet. “Should I? Or just accept the Yale thing?”

“I’d apply to Harvard and wait,” he said. He was both, Yale undergrad and Harvard Law.

On April 15 my letter from Harvard sent me some more calligraphy naming me an “Honorary Freshman Scholar” with pretty much the same financial terms as Yale, no money unless my Dad dropped dead, in which case it was full boat the rest of the way. 

My parents had been pretty pumped about the Yale thing. I had to call my Dad at work and tell him I had two acceptances, two honorary scholarships. He congratulated me.

I told him, “Dad, I want to go to Harvard.” The silence wasn’t a long one, but I feel my heart beating harder than it had when I’d approached the mailbox earlier that morning.

“Okay,” he said. “If that’s what you want. You’ve earned it.”

It actually turned out to be the better financial choice. Early in the summer aI received word that I had received high enough scores on enough AP exams to be enrolled at Harvard as a sophomore.

And that’s how I became a Harvard man. Three years later, I graduated at the age of 19 into the last of the draft lotteries. My birthday fell in the top third, high enough to guarantee conscription, but that’s the year they drafted no one and ended the draft altogether. What was Harvard like? You’ll get some hints in the links that follow, but I may also return at the end with some summary thoughts about when it was exactly that I ceased being a Harvard man and became my own man for good and ill.

As you read, I’m aware it may seem that Harvard is all I ever write about. Not the case. Of the four blogger websites accounting for most of the content, three contain more than 500 entries apiece, and one more than 1,500. Overall, the Harvard stuff amounts to well under 5 percent of some millions of words over 20 years, which tracks pretty well with the 4 percent of my life I spent there.


The Boomer Bible (Oct 1991):

Six chapters out of 2,001 in the three testaments is not a lot. But what’s here is important. The last one, the only specific use of the name Harvard, is really quite eerily prescient, an attribute of the book that keeps revealing itself through time. The page header information here (Previous, Table of Contents, Next) is all functional, as are the numerical entries specifying the “Intercolumn Reference” links. It’s possible to travel anywhere in the testaments from what’s here, if you’re so minded.



The Book of Ned, Ch. 14.1-24

   

The Book of Ira, Ch. 15, 1-17 & Ch. 16, 22-35


The Book of Swarthmorons, Ch. 5.1-11



First TBB Website (c. 1995-2005):



From Shuteye Town 1999:

References here are principally to writers who attended or taught at Harvard, featured on the various shelves of the store called Moon Books (Click the crime scene tape). Disregard any broken links; the missing content is provided elsewhere. There are also a couple links at Toot Video.



Norman Muler & Scrapbook

John Upcreek & Text


Steven J. Goop & Text


Al Bore & Text


George Walkman Bush & Text


Gloria Hyman & Video


Mutt Demon


Tommy Tee Bones



Shuteye Nation:


A lot of Harvard men (and women) become famous. Shuteye Nation contains a Who’s Who (several in fact) in which many of them are treated with the deference they deserve. Unlike the site itself, this software can’t point to individual names, so here are the people to look for in the list: Jonathan Auger (Alter), William Bannitt (Bennett), Tommy Tee Bones (Jones),  Al Bore (Gore), George Walkman Chevy Snaffle Adidas Bush XIV (“W”), Mutt Demon (Damon), Alan Dirtiwitz (Dershowitz), Liddy Dull (Dole), Barney Frog (Frank), Billion Gates (Bill), David Gurgle (Gergen), Alan Keese (Keyes), Doris Goodgod Korns (Kearns), Bill O’Really (O’Reilly), Norman Muler (Mailer), Laurence O’Dingle (O’Donnell), Janet Rambo (Reno), Jeffrey Toobless (Toobin), John Upcreek (Updike). That’s 20 of more than 250 entries. Is 8 percent a lot?  Well, I didn’t choose them because of where they went to school. So it does seem like a lot.

Who’s Who in Ameria 2000

Who’s Who in the New Amerian Age of Civility 2001



Gloves Off:




From Instapunk.com:

This site, which lasted for 10 years until being retired to the Wayback Machine, also contains the entries that became a print book about Obama, who is of course intimately associated with Harvard. But this is not an Obama book, so almost all of those pieces are not linked here, being more about him and his unique biography than Harvard. In its archived state, Instapunk is also not searchable by keyword, which means some unknown number of posts that might be here are not, despite my efforts to find them. If and when I find more, I will include them. Enough said.





 
[More to come]


Deerhound Diary:

This site was started as a way to get some distance from the world at large that was the focus of the original Instapunk site. For this reason, the content is worldly in an in-and-out way, focusing largely on the large number of dogs and cats my wife and I have lived with in our 20 years together. For example, the site is a source for one print book about dogs and one on-line book about the Donald Trump candidacy and early presidency. In this context, the Harvard stuff is more a sidebar than a theme. But here it is, unedited from the original words. Some missing graphics have been restored where possible.






The Doormat Season (Sept 2013)



The Kelly Files (Oct 2013)

NFL Catfight  (Nov 2013)

Boston CSI, 1950 (Nov 2013)

Not a Gay Post (December 2013)

The New Jim Crow (Feb 2014)


Ukraine Explained (March 2014)




PBS >> CNN (May 2014)



Censorship (Sept 2017)

Escaping Obama (Feb 2018)




Instapunk Rules:

Getting lazy. No. Just running out of time. Want this puppy posted before the new year. And, yeah, yeah, I got a thing for the Harvard Glee Club. Only saw them in person once, at Princeton of all places, in the company of my step-step-daughter, and they brought tears to her eyes. And because of hers, mine too. The Princeton unisex choristers didn’t. We beat them at football next day too. When I still cared.



Instapunk Returns:

I know you’re thinking, FB friends, “I’ve taken a link or two to this site, and WGAF? If I cared, I’d have looked at the ‘Consciousness’ crap.” You are allowed to go away. You definitely will not understand everything here. 



Facebook:

I’ll get to this later. Some funny stuff here and there, but mostly proof of life for concerned citizens who think I’ve been abducted by aliens who know I’m the only man who can save western civilization from the matriarchy. Okay, Here’s a token. 



Epilogue:

An experience like Harvard does change your life. Why it doesn’t make me happy to witness its downfall, one whose beginning I was witness to some 50 years ago. The seeds of ruin were already planted and sprouting by the time I got there in the Fall of 1970.

But why now? Why here at the end of 2023 after another tumultuous year in America? It’s exactly 50 years since I graduated in 1973. Fitting anniversary for a reappraisal and summing up, I think. There’s also the coincidence — if such a thing exists — that Harvard is as much in and behind the news as it has ever been. As I write this, the university’s reputation is in more peril than it has ever encountered. Grave public allegations of institutional antisemitism and woke pandering that have involved the appointment of the least qualified, most morally and intellectually compromised president in Harvard history. And that’s just the story that makes the headlines. Even worse is the role played by Harvard power players behind the media curtain in assaulting the foundations of the American republic to a possibly mortal degree.

 

None of this happened overnight. It’s been a long time building. My time at Harvard took in the years when the transformation of a religiously founded university broke with its past and turned against what it had always exalted and defended. 

 

What does all this add up to? Harvard is a part of my identity, but Harvard did not define me. It was rather a necessary experience for my development as a person and a writer. It was just something that had to be for some reason, for both good and ill. I might have been what the world calls happier if I had gone somewhere, anywhere, else. But I would have missed out on an opportunity that simply isn’t available anywhere else. I acquired much of my education there. Eminent professors like Edwin Reischauer, Benjamin Schwartz, Walter Jackson Bate, Mason Hammond and Wendell Clausen, and an inspired set of distribution requirements that enabled me to be an English major while taking courses in Chinese, Japanese, Roman, and German history, Einsteinian physics, Latin poetry and drama (in Latin), art history in overview and in closeup, as well as an extraordinarily comprehensive tutelage in the entire history of English literature, most of Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Anglo-Saxon poetry, the modern novel, and the Age of Samuel Johnson. I was not a devoted student by then, but I kept the books and syllabi even after finals and eventually wound up reading what had been assigned. This is all irreplaceable stuff you probably couldn’t duplicate today, even at Harvard.

 

Yet it would be absolutely untrue to say that Harvard was the most or even the completion of my formal education. By the time I arrived there as a freshman/sophomore, I already had the equivalent of a liberal arts baccalaureate degree, courtesy of my elementary schooling and the Mercersburg Academy, where I was also offered sophomore standing when I applied as a 12 year old eighth grader. My Dad wisely said no to that, but the reality was approximately the same as the offer. I started language courses in French 2 and Latin 2, the “A” track in English, as well as the standard starters in history and Algebra. English was no problem; ast. John’s Day School had skipped me over the second grade and I was writing book reports when I was seven and in-class essays and other reports when I was 9. Latin and French were a huge problem though. St. John’s had started teaching us both in the early grades but the approach was conversational and absent grammar. I’d had a French tutor to prepare for my Dad’s transfer to France when I was 9, but that was also primarily conversational, although my pronunciation and aural comprehension were not bad. The result was that I got away with the mistake. With the help of a great teacher and his best student, I learned the bulk of Latin grammar in six weeks and commenced reading Caesar on schedule. In French I just got lucky. Our teacher was an easygoing French-Canadian hockey player and I was able to outperform the others, catching up on the grammar at a more relaxed pace, just in time for one of the greatest (oh so many) teachers in my life, whom I had for French IIIA-IV, French V-AP, and an Independent Study in Dante, whom Mr. Miller showed me could be read for understanding in Italian by a student who had completed AP courses in both French and Latin. That year I also took an introductory course in Greek. 

 

I said earlier that Mercersburg was not Exeter. True but misleading. For about a quarter of our class,  Mercersburg was probably as good or better than Exeter, because we lived in an “A/AP” track of the best students in every subject. For a subset of us, that meant coursework in multiple AP subjects in small classes with gifted teachers. Our Chemistry department famously had such an outstanding teacher that his AP students failed him if they got less than an 800 on the Chemistry SAT Achievement test (only one ever did that I knew of, a humiliating 798). I didn’t have him for Chemistry, but I had AP courses in English, French, Latin, American History (as in “Problems in..”), and Modern European History (all of it). Most importantly for an intended English major I had two superlative teachers in that subject, one who taught us the skills of textual analysis in 10th grade (his 1st semester final exam consisted of a short story with the instruction “Analyze”) and in 11th grade one who engaged us in depth for weeks on Moby Dick, the short stories of James Joyce (omg “The Dead”), and a critical cross-examination of the Freudian interpretation of Hamlet. Justas important was the literary exposure that issued like a tidal wave from Mr. Miller. A one-time naval,officer and polymath (owning six radar patents) he had already given his fortunate students an extraordinary immersion in French literature, including Voltaire, Pascal, Baudelaire, Verlaine, Rimbaud, Mallarmé, Corneille, Racine, Stendhal, Flaubert, Balzac, and the mythic “Contes de Perrault,” “Tristan et Iseut,” and “Manon Lescaut.”  We read some books for understanding, and some chapters for in-class testing in the form of oral “literary” translation (grades ranged from “fair” [7] to “top drawer” [10]). A pause,or verbal stumble along the way reduced Top Drawer to Very Good Indeed and so forth, Along the way he taught us what he felt like teaching us, including a detailed explanation of the “concept of the square” in Modern Art. Once he slapped a copy of Camus’s “L’Étranger” on top of his book stack, told us it was on the AP required list, but he refused to teach trash. We could read it if we wanted. I read it only years later. 

 

My standardized test scores showed the quality of my instruction. Why I entered Harvard as a sophomore. I also had the benefit of a minor course requirement that included Art History, the Bible, and Music Appeciation, each taught for two days a week in their turn. They were real, well taught courses I still remember, some of the art history text we had, for example, more valuable in hindsight than the massive text we had at Harvard.

 

All this may make it seem like Harvard and I were a perfect fit, and my eventual matriculation there an inevitability. But this is not so. Everything was against it. Mercersburg was the wrong place. (The only literary reference to it I’ve ever found was in a John O’Hara novella, a man drunk in a bar softly singing to himself, “I’m only a Mercersburg Boy”). My mother wanted Princeton. My Dad hated Harvard. His thing about not liking any of them. Entering my senior year, I had met five boys who went to Harvard, only one of whom I liked and he was a champion swimmer, smart but no prodigy. The others I thought jerks, and I wasn’t alone in that assessment. Back home I knew good men from Yale and Princeton, admirable and charming. That social circle included no one from Harvard. There was nothing necessary about Harvard in terms of being successful, civilized, and worthy of emulation. Only an extraordinary set of circumstances could have made Harvard ultimately desirable to me.

 

I’d seen both Yale and Harvard not as an applicant but as a visitor on campus to graduates I’d met at least. These were reconnoitering expeditions involving several of us getting an inside look at accommodations and routines. The Yaley was the brother of a friend of mine, cordial enough but not warm. The Harvard guy was another swimmer, bragging about his sex life, which he said included a Kennedy girl, believable enough because he was built like a Greek god, though he was an utter asshole in every personal respect. I had also seen the Princeton campus, on crutches, on a rainy day, and never got to behold the loveliness of the place, which might have convinced me it was the perfect choice, being the home of my favorite American writer and only an hour and a half by automobile from home.

 

But I didn’t get to see beautiful Princeton. Only the cold, wet, painful backdrop for a humdrum interview. Looking back, one wonders about such things. Despite the asshole, Harvard was shockingly impressive to the eye and somehow seemingly located at some kind of center of things. Compared to Harvard Yard, Yale had no Harvard Yard. New Haven had no Harvard Square, that burstingly vital triangular artery connecting to Greater Boston beyond the Charles River, urban Cambridge, and the twisty boutique environs of Harvard-related emporiums around the Brattle bend. You could get run over in a heartbeat just trying to cross Harvard Square to or from one of its opposite shores, under the magisterial purview of the walls and upper floors and cupolas of the adjoining Yard. Compared to Harvard, Yale was only Mercersburg writ large, fine buildings surrounded by a small town of whatever size. Harvard was big. Yale and a Princeton were just not as…

 

This was a subtext for a more important, more direct change factor. My best friend and roommate for my last two years at Mercersburg was a force of nature named Howard. Everyone knew Howard from the day he arrived in school as a freshman. Say the name “Howard” and everyone knew who you were talking about. Odd in a culture where boys obsessively referred to one another by last-names-only except inside their various cliques. That first year he lived in the other of two freshman dorms, the smaller one that housed the bigger boys who might have found the little guys awaiting that first real growth spurt annoying and incompatible. Howard was, at 14, 5’-9” and dramatic looking, with thick cork-screwed hair, a heroic nose, and big lips to boot. He liked playing the clown and he was good at it. In thise days I was 5’-1” tall with big feet and shy with people I hadn’t spent much time with. We became friendly. Howard was observant. He noticed my grades after the first marking period. If your General Average (G.A.) was 90 or better, they posted it in plastic numerals inside a glass case located in the basement lobby of the dining hall for everyone to see. I had somehow managed to extract a 90 G.A. despite my French and Latin panic, and he was impressed. We became friendly. 

 

By junior year we had grown close enough to become roommates in ’88 dormitory, the most ramshackle of the accommodations on campus. What we had in common: We were both voracious readers of books not on our assigned reading lists, we were both complete slobs, we shared a penchant for observing, even studying, the mysterious scoundrels of the teenage boy universe, and we were both dedicated to making ourselves the best possible college candidates. It was Howard who first surfaced the subject of Harvard. He sneered at even the mention of Princeton. “You have to go to Harvard,” he told me, as if he had received some directive from above. “You’re perfect for it. You’re the only one who doesn’t see that.”

 

He won. 



[More to come]












Comments

Readers also liked…

A Near-Perfect Microcosm of “The Swamp”

The Best Book on the Trump Phenomenon

A Reclamation Project Begun

Manuscript Submission, The Boomer Bible

The CHYOS Superscript

The impenetrable NYC Bubble